At some point, most people have sucked helium out of a balloon to make their voices squeaky. The seemingly harmless party trick – which is especially popular among children – is anything but.
When someone inhales helium, their body cannot absorb oxygen which causes asphyxiation. Helium toxicity is not a common problem, but when it does happen, the results can be serious and even life-threatening.
Nine-year-old Tuesdai Joyner learned the dangers of this activity first-hand while at a birthday party last month. After inhaling helium to make her voice squeaky, she collapsed and suffered a seizure. Dr. Allan Greissman of Pediatric Critical Care of South Florida shared Tuesdai’s story, and the dangers of inhaling helium, with Local 10.
Hear what he had to say here.